Thoughts on life by another semi-anonymous blogger. Because, you know, we don't have enough of those.

Thursday, July 4, 2013

Chrome Book Review for People Who Aren't Techie

I was drawn to the Chromebook for its size, and I was intrigued by its speed, but it’s affordability and durability are what finally convinced me. For those of you who aren’t sure, here are the five facts to consider before buying a Chromebook. These are facts based on my research and personal experience with my own Samsung Chromebook.

1. This is not a “normal” computer. It doesn’t have a Windows or Apple operating system. It’s OS is basically more like what’s on a tablet than what would be on a typical laptop or desktop computer. This means that most of the your interactions with your Chromebook are facilitated through apps or Google Chrome. Which brings us to number two.

2. Though Chromebooks are capable of doing some things offline, they are very limited without internet connection. With all the libraries, coffee shops, and restaurants now providing free wireless, there are still plenty of places you can take your Chromebook. If, however, you have unreliable internet at home or work, then this might not be the computer for you. Personally my computer activities are almost all centered online, so it wasn’t a problem for me.

3. Chromebooks don’t run Microsoft Office, you have to use Google Drive. This one threw me for a loop, and I wasn’t sure I was willing to give up Word and Powerpoint, but after taking some time to get to know Google Docs, I like it just as much. It is a little more limited in font styles and formatting, but how many people ever used Windings in the first place?

4. The keyboard and mouse operate like a Mac’s, which took me some time to adjust to, but I like the two-figure scrolling, and I’m getting the hang of double-figure clicks. When you first log on, your Chromebook teaches you how to use it, which I really appreciated.

5. Most Chromebooks come with something called a “solid state” hard drive. The solid state doesn’t have as much storage space, but it is faster and more durable than other hard drives, which means that even though the Chromebook is thin and lightweight, it’s also durable. I couldn’t believe how quickly my Chromebook boots up and loads pages. It goes from off to ready to use in five seconds, sometimes less. This is probably my favorite part of the Chromebook.

Now you know that Chromebooks aren’t like more traditional laptops, but a lot of people like them as a second computer. They also do well for casual users and people who mostly want to surf the web. If you’re into serious gaming or plan on using it as a work laptop, Chromebooks might not be right for you, but they are fun, convenient laptop.



No comments:

Post a Comment